176-17 - Medaryville Ordinance 2017-09-03
MEDARYVILLE TOWN COUNCIL
ORDINANCE NO. 2017-09-03
REGULATIONS GOVERNING USE OF TOWN HIGHWAYS
AND STREETS BY TRUCKS
WHEREAS, I.C. 9-20-1-3(c) provides that the Town of Medaryville, Indiana has the authority to prohibit the operation of trucks or other commercial vehicles and/or impose limitations as to the weight, size, or use of those vehicles on designated highways and streets through the Town, except for highways in the state highway system and state maintained routes through the Town; and
WHEREAS, the Town of Medaryville reasonably believes that it is in the best interest of the Town and the residents herein that the Town implement designated truck routes through the Town to help improve road conditions for general vehicular traffic, reduce maintenance costs, and promote the safety and welfare of the public.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Medaryville Town Council for Medaryville, Indiana as follows:
1. Definitions. The following words, terms, and phrases, when used in this Ordinance, shall have the following meaning:
Truck route means those highways and local streets the Town designated by this Ordinance designed for the movement of goods and services through the Town.
Truck means a freight-carrying vehicle.
2. Use of Designated Truck Routes. Drivers of freight-carrying vehicles are prohibited from operating or driving the vehicle over streets or portions of streets not designated by this division, except where delivery to a legally established business/industry enterprise is not possible because of its location on a non-designated street. In addition, pursuant to I.C. 9-20-1-3(f), any buses no more than forty-five (45) feet in length and designed for and being used for the primary purpose of the transportation of people are exempt from this Ordinance. Town residents who drive freight-carrying vehicles as their means of business or employment who are coming to and from their residence are exempt.
3. Truck Routes Designated. Truck routes are those routes detailed as follows:
• Prairie Street, from County Road 1450 West to the entrance of the grain elevator.
• East Delaware Street, from U.S. 421 to grain elevator.
• West Street, from U.S. 421 to County Road 1550
4. Signage. Pursuant to the requirement imposed by I.C. 9-20-1-3(c), the prohibitions and limitations imposed by this Ordinance shall be designated by appropriate signage placed on the highways and streets.
5. Fine. The fine for violation of this ordinance is $100.00.
Passed by the Town Council of Medaryville, Indiana, this 20th day of September, 2017 by a vote of 3 yes to 0 no.
Robert Schultz, President
Suzanna Wilcoxon, Vice President
Ray Saltsman Sr., Member
ATTEST: Judy Harwood, Town Clerk/Treasurer
176-17 G 09/27, 10/04