096-17 - Town of Winamac Ordinance 4 of 2017
AN ORDINANCE PROVIDING FOR THE NOMINATION
OF MAJOR PARTY CANDIDATES
FOR THE TOWN OF WINAMAC, INDIANA
Ordinance No. 4 of 2017
WHEREAS, the Town of Winamac, Indiana (the “Town”) has used political conventions to nominate major political party candidates, as that term is defined in Ind. Code § 3-5-2-30, to appear on the ballot for a Town office; and
WHEREAS, Indiana Code § 3-8-5-2 also gives the Town the ability to nominate major party candidates for a town office through the use of a primary election; and
WHEREAS, the Town now desires to have the candidates of major political parties for a Town office nominated through the use of a primary election, as opposed to the use of political Town conventions; and
WHEREAS, the Town of Winamac Town Council (the “Town Council”) believes that it is in the best interest of the town to have major party candidates for town office nominated through the use of primary election.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED, by the Town Council of the Town of Winamac, Indiana, that Ordinance No. 4 of 2017, An Ordinance Providing for the Nomination of Major Party Candidates for the Town of Winamac, Indiana, is adopted as follows:
1. Establishment. Major party candidates for town offices for the Town shall be nominated through the method of a primary election. The nomination of major party candidates for a town office for the Town of Winamac, Indiana through the method of political town convention shall be abolished.
2. Election Board. The Pulaski County Election Board shall conduct the primary election for nomination of major party candidates for town offices for the Town of Winamac, Indiana.
3. Governing Laws. All Indiana statutes governing primary elections for towns shall apply to the nomination of major party candidates for town offices for the Town of Winamac, Indiana.
4. Change of Method Prohibited. The Town shall not change the method of nominating major party candidates for its town offices for a period of twelve (12) years.
5. Filing. The Town of Winamac Clerk-Treasurer shall file a copy of this ordinance in the Office of the Circuit Court Clerk of Pulaski County.
6. Effective Date. This ordinance shall take effect upon publication.
PASSED AND ADOPTED BY THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF WINAMAC, INDIANA, THIS 10th DAY OF APRIL, 2017.
THE WINAMAC, INDIANA, TOWN COUNCIL:
Tom J. Murray, President; Dan Vanaman, Council Member; Alvin R. Parish, Council Member; Judy Heater, Council Member; James Watkins, Council Member
ATTEST: Melanie A. Berger, Clerk-Treasurer
096-17 G 04/19